Sunday, February 05, 2006

G.L.O.W. Diary 13

Wednesday, Week 4, March 1983

Debbie called me to say her contract was ending, so I made her an offer to stay. She said she'd think about it.

Saturday, Week 4, March 1983

I had good news and bad news. First, Jackie called to say that the PPV talks fell through. I was off the hook.

The bad news was that Debbie wanted a raise. I admitted that she was an asset to the company, but I'd have to think it over.

Sunday, Week 4, March 1983

I decided that Debbie was worth another $25 after all. At least I got her for another 9 months at that price.

Monday, Week 1, April 1983

While setting up at the new venue, I ran into Beastie.

"You don't have to be here, you're not booked."

"I wanted to talk to you about my contract."

I was stuck. Not only was she talented, but I had her in a story with Emily. Then it hit me.

"So that's why you proposed that storyline."

"I had to do something. I know money's tight, but maybe you'd have more left over if it wasn't for all those guys backstage. They get paid every show and I'm sure they make more than any of us."

I had thought they got paid monthly. Great. The backstage would be havoc. I had to think this through.

"I'll get back to you in a few days. I have a show to run right now."

"Okay, Joel. Call me."

*

We had a pitiful 193 people for the show.

Vampira defeated Spike in 2:49 by submission with Vampira's Caress.
Spike could use something to freshen her character up. Vampira and Spike have great chemistry, and it showed in their performances.[C-]
California Doll has had enough. she challenges California Vine to a match. If Doll wins, Vine has to stop imitating Doll.
California Vine is developing better performance skills.[C+]
California Doll defeated California Vine in 2:44 by pinfall with a Small Package.[C-]
California Vine throws her California Doll memorabilia in the trash. She is done being Doll's biggest fan.[C]
The argument between Debbie Dancer and Sally the Farmer's Daughter descends into a wild and rather silly slap fight between the two. A flustered Don Coss eventually gets between the two wildly swinging combatants and breaks the tiff up.
Debbie and Sally are both developing better performance skills.[C-]
Mountain Fiji comes out to the podium and makes mention of how glad she is that her good friend Little Fiji is on the outside looking in; always watching her back.
"With friends like Little Fiji," Fiji whoops to the world, "Nothing can stand in my way."[C-]
Mountain Fiji defeated Corporal Kelly in 2:58 by pinfall with a Powerslam. Mountain Fiji makes defence number 1 of her G.L.O.W. title.[C-]
The show was a success.[C-]

*

Tuesday, Week 1, April 1983

The girls gave Matilda a warm goodbye, then I got down to business.

"I have to make some drastic cost saving changes. We can no longer afford backstage workers. As much help as you've all been, we are losing money hand over fist. I'm sorry."

"Dude, you're firing us?"

"No... not firing, per se... Look at it like... like we're too big, and we need to get down to a more managable size."

"Downsizng?"

"Yeah, that sounds about right. Downsizing."

Yes, Monty had coined the term downsizing 10 years before it was being used in big corporations. But I digress.

"Does this mean the girls will get more work?" asked Kitty.

"Yes, it does."

"And what about me? I heard the May big show was cancelled."

That's what I had forgotten! She was well liked so I'd have to make a concilliation.

"I can get you on one show a month, starting next month."

"Okay, Joel."

I finished booking the match for next week and ended the meeting. I had to come up with a new storyline now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home